Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sunday Soirée (#1)

So, this past Sunday, I invited three people over for Sunday dinner. One was my new roommie, P/T, one was my FHE bro, J, and the third was his roommate (my FHE Dad) M. The food was vaguely French themed and I tried out 5 new recipes.

I tried taking pictures, but apparently my camera needs batteries. I promise to hit you up next time.

Menu:
Lemon Tarragon Asparagus
Classic Vichyssoise
Homemade French Bread
Pound cake with Balsamic Vinegar Strawberries and Whipped Cream
For fun, I served Raspberry White Grape Juice in wine glasses. Swanky.

Okay. I'd never cooked (or even heard of) Vichyssoise before. Basically, it's a potato and leek soup, served cold. It was super flavorful, with basil, marjoram and thyme. And although the recipe only called for 1/4 cup cream, I put it 1/2. Creamy. Just another excuse to add yummy calories.

French bread wasn't that hard- except without any fat in it, it was really difficult to knead. Maybe that's why people are intimidated by it-they're afraid it might break their wrists off.

Balsamic Vinegar Strawberries. Unsettling, I know. Especially since the recipe calls for freshly ground pepper. But it was actually really good. It complimented to flavor of the berries- mellowed out the tartness and provided an interestingly earthy background.

So that's the food- now for the people. It was nice to be able to sit down and talk to my new roommate, especially in the context of non-roommates. I had met J before and chatted with him some, so I got to know him better. I'd never met M before, and he was a nice surprise. He's from my home state and seems like a lot of fun. Gets sarcasm. We bonded.

So, new food and new people. Maybe not a rip-roaring good time, but still a good time.

Next week: A., her beau, and S.

(Note: all recipes were from allrecipes.com)

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA loved the first letter. Come on it was rip roaring time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY, woman.
    You've set high expectations from your very first Sunday Series dinner. I'm excited and intimidated for this Sunday.
    PLUS since I'm bringing a dessert dish, I have to do something impressive! Ahh! Panic!
    Plus I'm so so hungry right now.
    Plus you're amazing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete