Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Mess of Pottage, pt. 1

I was in church the other day (it was a Sunday, if I remember correctly) and the Sunday School lesson was about Jacob and Esau. Everybody took the "Esau could've held out a few hours for some food, and didn't value his birthright and that's why its okay that Jacob tricked Esau for the birthright (because Jacob valued it)" stance. That's all well and good, but here's my beef.

We all know (or think we know) the stories of the Bible. But how many of us have actually read the scriptures and the stories as they appear in the Bible? Based on the discussion generated on Sunday, not many of us, and that includes the teacher. Now, I think I have a slight advantage, being I took a Bible as Literature course last semester in which we spent a good deal of time on the scripture relating to Jacob and being an English major, I've been trained to read critically. But all that aside, I think that too many people rely on Primary-perspectives and that understanding of scripture can inhibit growth because it's not actually based on what the scripture says.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there's something to be said for the meaning that you can get from the story. I think it's problematic when it contradicts the actual word of the scriptures or when it becomes the only meaning, the end-all-be-all.

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Amen, sister.
    I don't think this applies only to scriptures, either. I think it's true in pretty much all aspects of understanding Gospel principles.
    We're not meant to just parrot what we've been taught in Sunday School, or find meaning in the words by thinking, "How can I apply this to my life?" -- which both are fantastic things to do-- but the Gospel contains more depth of meaning than that, and we should be continually striving to understand it better, right? Which is why personal study is so important. We're all at different places and levels of understanding, so relying on Sunday School as one of our major sources of spiritual growth probably won't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could not agree more with this post. the story of jacob and esau is written by a hebrew and ambiguity is central to the hebraic reading tradition. we claim to have the answer because we place jacob and esau into limiting stereotypes in order to create simplicity...i could go on forever about this but i'm going to hole me tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Emily. That would be an interesting topic to explore. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm glad you commented, so that I could find your blog. I responded to your comment, if you're interested. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete