Monday, October 25, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside

Today's high was 55. I heard tale of flakes in the valley. There is a light dusting of snow on the mountains--like powdered sugar. This can only mean one thing:

Winter is coming.

Oh, Winter. My most conflicted season. Not only is it officially hot chocolate weather, but it is also closed-toed shoes weather. It mean its time to bust out the sweaters and heated blanket and replace them with shorts and swimsuits. And tights- it means about 4 months of wearing tights under EVERYTHING. And lotion-I'll use enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool before the sunshiney warmth of springy May shows up. Wearing more layers than I care to admit because my body can't manage to retain any of its own heat. Gloves and scarves and coats. Runny noses. Cold and flu season. Temporary blindness upon entering any structure because my glasses fogged up.

And snowmen. And snowball fights. And melting snowflakes on my tongue. Clear nights with the white mountains outlined against black sky. Thanksgiving and the post-turkey nap. CHRISTMAS. Going home where it isn't so cold. Family.

I love winter. And I hate it. I hate being cold. I love playing in the snow. I hate slipping on the ice. I love drinking hot chocolate. It's definitely a love-hate relationship. And I'm sorta of ok with that.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to stop complaining about how cold it is.




4 comments:

  1. I love tights. Who doesn't love tights? Tights and snuggling. Are why I like winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i'm with amy on this one...tights are the best. i understand the love, hate relationship that you are talking about. i just wish it could be autumn forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like winter because I get to bust out my coats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want some hot chocolate. Yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete