Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October is a special month

Standing on a table is a completely normal thing to do.

Today, I'm feeling a little over-extended.

I'm behind on much of my reading. I have a ever-growing sleep debt. Work is really busy. And I keep getting pinged by small to-do things (respond to this email, call these people, do this do that ping ping ping). And on top of all this is the ever-more looming process of graduate applications.

And I actually have a life. With people I like being with, doing things I like doing.

There aren't enough hours in the day. There just aren't. Something's gotta give.

When I'm stressed, I get the urge to do one of two things: 1. Stand on top of something or 2. hide underneath something. So, I stand on tables, on my bed, on couches. I hide under desks, blankets and tables. When I'm really really stressed, I have the urge to stand on my bed with my blanket over my head. It weirds my roommates out.

I just want to hide. It's the coward in me. I know my life is awesome. It is. I love my life and my friends and I am so so grateful for the opportunities that I have. But I'd like to take a few hours and get a good nap, lounge about in bed maybe even read something frivolous and slightly smutty. Or paint. I haven't had the time to paint in over a year.

But I'm not going to do those things. Coward, be gone. I'm gonna work through my to-do list, being as productive as possible so maybe, in the (hopefully near) future, I can nap and paint and stuff without being a guilty shirker.

I think I'm going to be spending some time standing on tables.

EDIT: I realize that I'm using my blog as a cowardly escape/ I'm not helping my "I need more time" plight by blogging. I know. I know.


5 comments:

  1. You're not a coward. Sometimes we just get pushed to our limits. Take a nap if you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just imagined you hiding under a table and it made my day. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's dance on the WC tables. That wasn't meant to connote a "table dance"--but just dancing on tables. ...I'm quite serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it's time for a "sick" day.

    ReplyDelete