Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grad school, thus far

So.  I've been a grad student about 3 weeks and I haven't died yet (emphasis on yet).  I love my 150 students (btdubs I teach freshman writing and my class is so incredibly adorable. and smart. omgoodness are they smart). I love my classes (especially my two seminars--Scottish Enlightenments and Women in the English Renaissance. although I may or may not already be a little behind in the reading. eepp.)

Never been so excited for each day, or so exhausted at the end of each and every one.

There's so.much. to the grad program that I love. 

The carrels--where conversations range from pretentious theory discussions to Blake's use of children (sounds lewd) to who would win if we had grad student death matches (my money is with the MFAs-they're scrappy). 

New friends (and their adorable children, if that applies). SO MANY AWESOME PEOPLE. 

There's also the fact that I'm now part of community that appreciates Dr. Pepper and caffeine in general. The recycle bin is full of cans of caffeinated beverages--and not all of them are mine! Happy day! I have found kindred spirits. 

I'm also not the only who calls professors by their first names anymore. 

Also- FREAKING FREE FOOD. So much free food. these past few weeks, I've gotten *at least* two free meals a week. this week I've had 3. yesssssss

And even when I have to pay for food--I have cool new people to eat it with (there are two set dinner dates every week--on Tuesdays between classes and on  Friday, as a celebration of having lived thru the week).

I love my life. 

These past few weeks have been incredibly validating. This is where I'm supposed to be (whatever that means). And I am definitely going to be applying for PhD programs. This (academia) is really something I want to do. Even if I can't find a job--I want this experience.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of fun times. My camera is being funny and it needs to be fixed. So here's a picture of Michael Fassbender


You're welcome. 

5 comments:

  1. I relate to EVERYTHING here--except in our carrels we don't talk about pretentious theory and Blake's use of children. We debate about whether people should have property rights over their cells and whether someone who has a psychotic break and thinks she is Batman should be held liable for torts claims against her (car accident).

    Free food, awesome people, and caffeine--what's not to love?!

    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilz- I wish I could plaster his face on everything I see.

    Jessica-How is law school anyways? you dead yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. X-Men First Class? I am not googling this. I do that way too much... stick it to the man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris- you NEED to google this. go. now. google like our friendship depended on it!

    ReplyDelete