Monday, November 8, 2010

When I grow up

I want to grow up to be an old man.

Old men are cute. Old women are sad.

Old man clothes are cool. Old lady clothes are not.

Old men with canes are distinguished. Old women with canes are feeble.

Old men play chess and read newspapers. Old women knit and gossip.

Now, I realized I've constructed a false dichotomy based on stereotypes.
I know.
This is fallacious.

But I'd much rather be on the other side of this stereotype.

Especially today. In the yellow fall rain. In the cold and in my hat.

But old women get to be grandmas and make cookies and hot chocolate on cold days for squirmy dirty kids.

Gender roles.

I'd much rather do without them.


5 comments:

  1. Just be a crazy old woman and you can do whatever you want. That's my plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelsy develop your own style and enjoy. (Left a comment on puppy blog)
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Workin' on it. But I might be a crazy old lady who wears old man clothes. They're just so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. You're going to be an awesome old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love old men. i totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete